Install a free email gateway with anti-spam, anti-virus using Scrollout F1
July 17, 2012 2 Comments
• Designed for Linux and Windows email system administrators, Scrollout F1 is an easy to use, already adjusted email firewall (gateway) offering free anti-spam, anti-virus protection and Data Loss Prevention aiming to secure existing email servers, old or new, such as Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Domino, Postfix, Exim, Sendmail, Qmail and others.
• Built-in multilayer security levels make configuration effort equal to a car radio.
• It combines simplicity with effective protection using powerful open source with additional set of rules & filters.
The installation is easy. Even if you are a newbie in Linux there is not much room for errors. However, a basic knowledge in email routing and traffic is required.
Estimated time: 30 minutes.
A simpler alternative to this article for Windows admins is to use the customized .iso image.
- Make sure you provide valid network settings in order to connect to the Internet during installation.
- Do not attempt to install on an existing system. You cannot have multiple postfix, spamassassin, clamav instances. Deploy Scrollout F1 on a fresh Ubuntu/Debian system.
1. Download Ubuntu Server or Debian
A clean Ubuntu or Debian operating system must be installed. Do not use an existing system on which you have installed other applications and services like an existing web server and email server. The installation process will overwrite the existing settings.
Download a version of Ubuntu Server, preferable, a version that ends with 04. (10.04, 11.04, 12.04 or later)
For Debian, use this link. The installation process is almost identical to Ubuntu, but lighter and faster.
2. Install Ubuntu Server, Alternate or Debian
Important note: When you are asked to configure network connection please make sure you input the correct settings. You need a working Internet connection during installation.
3. Install Scrollout F1
Login to the Ubuntu terminal console using your user and password. For Debian use “root” account.
Again, make sure your internet connection is working properly and type the following commands:
apt-get install sudo -y sudo –i cd /tmp wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrollout/files/update/scrolloutf1.tar/download -O scrolloutf1.tar tar -xvf scrolloutf1.tar chmod 755 /tmp/scrolloutf1/www/bin/* /tmp/scrolloutf1/www/bin/install.sh
Press-hit ENTER every time you are asked to answer a question. By doing this you will select the default answer.
When done, the Graphic User Interface URL address and default Admin password will be displayed.
To uninstall run:
out 53 UDP – DNS query, RBLout 80 TCP – HTTP updatesin/out 25 TCP – SMTP trafficout 6277 UDP – DCC serviceout 2703 TCP – Razor2 serviceout 24441 UDP – Pyzor serviceout 123 UDP – NTP time